Friday, May 25, 2007

Capital punishment

I was thinking about a comment I made in an earlier post about how Capital Punishment would be the norm instead of the exception. This got me thinking about how this could be misleading without any explanation.

The reason why I think this way is based in psychology. Gestalt would argue that a criminal is different from the law biding citizen. This would be like comparing apples to oranges. The criminal has a different perception as to what would be considered punishment than a law biding citizen.

The reapings of certain behaviors are acceptable when weighed against efforts of the sow. This is where punishment loses something in the translation. My whole philosophy is to make the punishment so undesirable that the criminal will not be willing to take the risk.

When I say criminal, I don't mean every person who has committed a crime. I mean those who are willingly and consciously doing what they know to be wrong as delineated in the spirit of humanity. Some common attributes criminals possess are the assimilation into anarchal societal structures, the gravitation to environments where power is the only thing of importance, and a tendancy for finding a way that the basic needs are met with minimal effort.

Prison is an ideal place for criminal to flourish. People say we need more prisons...well prisons do something to ease a sypmtom, when I think we should attack the problem at its causes.

Be good to one another,

Rev. Biggus

No comments: